Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tuesday Nights with Johnny or Skins 101

Or any other night for that matter. One of the highlights of my golf season has been a seemingly regular Tuesday night skins games with Jim Mason and Brad McAreavy. As the season progressed we even slipped in a few extra nights here and there.

The format: 9 holes, East course (more often than not), confirmation required. The outcome: Brad and Jim winning holes, failing to confirm and then on the 9th hole Schantz shows up to take home most of the skins.

The details: Brad picking up 3-footers he "thought" were conceded and then dissing everyone (well actually just me) for stinking up the place but winning all the cash. JUST KIDDING BRAD! I had to throw this out there to pull your chain! Just so you don't feel lonely there was also the fact that Dave Fries would show up after 5 or 6 holes and try to get in on the action. He did try to explain how it would be fair if we let him. Hey, I might be just a home builder, Brad's in the car game and Jim is "just" an internist but we're not dumb enough to fall for Dave's convoluted reasoning!

Really, it did get rather ridiculous after a while. And I did kind of stink it up a few nights but somehow I would show up on the 9th hole, someone would miss a 3-footer and I would win. Just the way they teach it in Skins 101 - win the holes that matter.

Can we change the format of the club championship to a skins game? Actually, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead because the only person whose luck can hold up for any length of time is Jim Mason (probably because he's good, not lucky).

No comments: