Today proved why having a higher handicap golfer in our midst changes the complexion of the game. Depending on your perspective that could be a good or bad thing.
Again we had a slow front nine as only three holes were won. We carried 6 holes to the back and doubled up. On the 12th Bill Schwert proved to be crazy like a fox or just plain lucky. Bill pulled his tee shot left and looked to be in trouble. He passed on a few tee shots and we got down to me as the last hitter. I hit a really poor tee shot left and Bill passed on me because he didn't want to drag me down with him (or so he said). Getting a stroke he went alone.
As it turned out Bill actually had a shot to the green from the left rough. He knocked it on the green, two-putted and won the hole. The rest of us were dumbfounded. When we left the tee I was pretty happy I was not picked. As we walked off the green I couldn't quite figure out what had happened.
As we arrived at the 17th, Bill's win on 12 had been the only win on the back nine. I was captain and took it all the way back. My tee shot came up just short of the green and I watched as the other five players scattered their tees shots. Since no one had hit the green it was an obvious loner. When Brad McAreavy missed his 6-footer for par the field had run out of par chances and I knocked in a tricky downhill curling 3 1/2 footer to take the win.
We trudged over to the 18th with eleven holes on the line. As the captain's ball was drawn four of us hoped it would not be stroker who was pulled. No such luck as Bill Schwert's ball emerged. When JT hit a good drive the field was is deep do do.
No one could hit the green in two and the field had no real good chance for a four before I hit my third. I almost holed out from short of the left bunker and secured a par for the field. It was left for JT to knock in a four footer for a team win. When he did Bill and John walked away with $22 each for the win.
With a team win on 1 and 2, a loner on the 12th and the big team win on the 18th Bill was the big winner on the day. He even got a break as there were only 5 (5!!!!!!!!!!) marks on the day. What the Schwert!!??@#
Game Summary:
West Course
Players 6
Carryovers to 9 & 18
Mark Leader - John Schantz 2
Money Leader -Bill Schwert $33
No comments:
Post a Comment