John Schantz's tee shot on #15 - birdie, greenie, loner
A full field of 9 players showed up today for an early 8:30 tee time on a cool but otherwise very pleasant late October day. Making their maiden appearances today were 2008 club championship finalist Shawn Baker and his father Gary. Our normal tradition is to let the newcomers make a few bucks and try to suck them in for future appearances.
After a quick explanation of the game Gary led things off. Play was on the East due to aerification on the west.
After a quick explanation of the game Gary led things off. Play was on the East due to aerification on the west.
Gary immeadiately, as almost every rookie does, violated the first rule of captain and crew - "never let the stroker beat you" - by selecting his son while 6 of the next 7 players were getting a stroke. On the other hand father son teams are supposed to play together. Shawn did not let his father down as he dropped a 12 footer for birdie. The field escaped with a halve when Dave Fries put it in on top of Shawn.
Shawn used his power game on #4 reaching the left green side bunker in two and then hit a superb bunker shot to a tight left pin for the gimme birdie and 3 hole carryover team win with Dave (who, as captain, had put his tee shot on Kilbourn Road). So far so good for the rookie - 4 holes, 1 win, 3 marks.
On #6 only two players would hit the green, Shawn and Jim Mason. Jim made the birdie and Shawn had the greenie for another 3 hole team win. Darn rookie got the hang of this game too quickly! If nothing else he should be taking money from Mason not helping him!
John Teegardin and Doug Lyon teamed up for another 3 hole team win on #9 to complete a front nine sweep by the team over the field. A few timely birdies or a stroke hole can do a lot for the team on the East Course.
Doug and Gary Baker both made birdies on #11 to a back left pin (playing 184 yds into a gusting wind). Unfortunately, Brad McAreavy's fine tee shot and potential greenie was not rewarded as he 3-putted (matching Dylan Bronson's 3-putt on #3 to give back the greenie there as well).
The team of Schantz and Lyon lost a 3 hole carryover on #14 when they failed to match the birdies by Dave and Dylan.
At this point I was down big with no marks and no wins. But, sometimes all it takes is one good shot at the right time. Jim was captain on #15 and promptly put it in the water. He called for someone to hit it close, but not close enough for a loner. Brad followed and missed the green as well.
So, with 158 yds and the wind in our face I hit a solid knock-down 5 iron to 3 feet and told Jim to get lost (he's waiting for the chance to get me back). I was more than a little nervous as there were still 6 players to hit and with a 3 hole carryover on the line a loss would cost me $48. Three more players would hit the green but none with good chances and all missed their birdie tries. I made the putt and my day.
So, with 158 yds and the wind in our face I hit a solid knock-down 5 iron to 3 feet and told Jim to get lost (he's waiting for the chance to get me back). I was more than a little nervous as there were still 6 players to hit and with a 3 hole carryover on the line a loss would cost me $48. Three more players would hit the green but none with good chances and all missed their birdie tries. I made the putt and my day.
On the minus side I gave part of it back on #17, teaming with Shawn losing a 2 hole carryover.when Dylan made a nice 2-putt birdie from 40 feet. At the end of the day I finished down $3.50. You can decide if that's good or bad considering I won $38 on one hole. All I know is that without one good shot it would have been ugly.
The other main highlight of the day would be the running 12 hole debate (13 including the 19th hole) as to whether one could, should or would stand in their opponent's putting line in a team format. Let's just say some members of our group thought it was perfectly acceptable. Gee wiz, and I thought we were all friends.
Stay tuned next week to see if Shawn can tear himself away from the bar circuit and join us for another day of fun and games. Is he a one hit wonder, hate to win and run boys but I gotta go type or can he back it up? He was pretty successful for a rookie but then again he's a good player. I'm not so sure we'll see his father out there again :)
Game Summary:
East Course
Players 9
Carryovers to next hole capped at 3
Marks 18
Mark Leaders - Shawn Baker, Dylan Bronson & Dave Fries 4 each
Game Leader - Shawn Baker $26
Stay tuned next week to see if Shawn can tear himself away from the bar circuit and join us for another day of fun and games. Is he a one hit wonder, hate to win and run boys but I gotta go type or can he back it up? He was pretty successful for a rookie but then again he's a good player. I'm not so sure we'll see his father out there again :)
Game Summary:
East Course
Players 9
Carryovers to next hole capped at 3
Marks 18
Mark Leaders - Shawn Baker, Dylan Bronson & Dave Fries 4 each
Game Leader - Shawn Baker $26

No comments:
Post a Comment